Fire Safety in Vilnius Old Town
Fire of Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris has raised old questions about the safety of similar heritage structures and the techniques used to restore them.
We would like to remind the lessons learned during the INTERREG IVC Project HERITPROT “Fire Risk Prevention and Improvement of the Fire Extinction Systems of the Historic Town Centers of Cities Named World Heritage”. The agency together with partners from 9 world heritage cities took part in the project during 2012–2014. Partners were: La Laguna (Spain, Leading Partner), Sighisoara (Romania), Cuenca (Spain), Riga (Latvia), Warsaw (Poland), Vilnius (Lithuania), Holloko (Hungary), Liverpool (United Kingdom), Angra do Heroismo (Portugal). Vilnius Old Town Renewal Agency implemented the project together with Vilnius County Fire and Rescue Board.The goal of the project: protection of cultural heritage values in case of fires and other disasters.
Results in Vilnius City were:
– Vilnius Fire Safety Plan developed together with Fire and Rescue Board of Vilnius County. The Plan included many good practices presented by HERITPROT partners.
– The Recommendations for managers of immovable cultural heritage properties prepared and distributed via the Ministry of Culture and local municipalities.
– Training programme „How to protect cultural heritage properties during fire“ prepared.
– Training of fire extinction in Bernardines‘ Church implemented in 17 04 2015.
– Good Practice Manual for Fire Protection in World Heritage Cities developed together with all partners.
Project was co-financed by the ERDF and made possible by the INTERREG IVC programme.